Kathleen Miller's Home Page
List of Publications
(* denotes a non-NCAR author)
To view some of the documents on this page, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Kathleen A. Miller, 2008. Climate Change and Water Resources: The Challenges Ahead.
- InternationalAffairs. Spring/Summer 2008 In Press.
- Z. W. Kundzewicz, L. J. Mata, N.W. Arnell, P. Döll, B. Jimenez, K. Miller, T. Oki, Z. Şen,
- and I. Shiklomanov, 2008. The implications of projected climate change for freshwater resources and their management, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 53(1): 3-10.
- K.A. Miller, 2007. “Fish Stew: Uncertainty, Conflicting Interests and Climate Regime Shifts,” Chapter
- 13 – pp. 207-221 in T. Bjørndal, D. V. Gordon, R. Arnason and U. R. Sumaila (eds.) Advances in Fisheries Economics: Festschrift in Honour of Professor Gordon R. Munro. Blackwell: Oxford, U.K.
- R. McKelvey, P. V. Golubtsov, G. Cripe and K.A. Miller, 2007. “The Incomplete Information
- Stochastic Split-Stream Model: An Overview.” Chapter 10 – pp.159-183 in T. Bjørndal, D. V. Gordon, R. Arnason and U. R. Sumaila (eds.) Advances in Fisheries Economics: Festschrift in Honour of Professor Gordon R. Munro. Blackwell: Oxford, U.K.
- Kathleen A. Miller, 2007. Climate Change and Water in the West: Complexities, Uncertainties and
- Strategies for Adaptation, Journal of Land, Resources and Environmental Law 27(1): 87-96.
- Z.W. Kundezewicz, L.J. Mata (Coordinating Lead Authors); N. Arnell, P. Döll, P.Kabat, B.
- Jimenez, K. Miller, T. Oki, Z. Sen and I. Shiklomanov (Lead Authors), et. al., 2007. Chapter 3 – Freshwater Resources and their Management. IPCC WGII Fourth Assessment Report.
- Kathleen Miller, 2007. Climate Variability and Tropical Tuna: Management Challenges for Highly
- Migratory Fish Stocks, Marine Policy, 31(1): 56-70. [doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2006.05.006].
- Kathleen Miller, 2007. The Challenge of Change: Managing for the Sustainability of Oceanic Top
- Predator Species. GLOBEC International Newsletter, 13(3): 47.
- Kathleen Miller and David Yates, 2006. Climate Change and Water Resources: A Primer for
- Municipal Water Providers. AWWA Research Foundation, Denver, CO, 83 pp.
- Robert McKelvey, Peter V. Golubtsov, Kathleen Miller, and Greg Cripe, 2006. “Bi-national
- Management of a Transboundary Marine Fishery: Modeling the Destabilizing Impacts of Erratic Climatic Shifts,” Chapter 9 – pp. 236-261, in Rögnvaldur Hannesson, Manuel Barange, and Samuel F. Herrick, Jr., eds., Climate Change and the Economics of the World's Fisheries: Examples of Small Pelagic Stocks, in the series New Horizons in Environmental Economics, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK.
- Morss, R.E., K.A. Miller and M. Vasil, 2005: A Systematic Economic Approach to Evaluating
- Public Investment in Observations for Weather Forecasting. Monthly Weather Review 113(2): 374-388.
- Morss, R.E., and K.A. Miller, 2005: Evaluating the Optimal Level and Mix of Public Investment in
- Observations for Weather Prediction: An Economic Approach, in Proceedings of the 2005 THORPEX Conference.
- Miller, K.A., 2005: “Fish Soup: Uncertainty, Conflicting Interests and Climate Regime Shifts,
- ” To be published in: T. Bjørndal (ed.) Essays in fisheries economics and management, a Festschrift in honour of Professor Gordon Munro. In Review.
- Robert McKelvey, Peter V. Golubtsov, Kathleen Miller, and Greg Cripe, 2005: “Bi-national
- Management of a Transboundary Marine Fishery: Modeling the Destabilizing Impacts of Erratic Climatic Shifts.” To appear in Climate Change and the Economics of the World's Fisheries, in the series New Horizons in Environmental Economics, Wallace Oates and Henk Folmer, eds. In Review.
- Robert McKelvey, Peter V. Golubtsov, Greg Cripe and Kathleen Miller, 2005: “The Incomplete
- Information Stochastic Split-Stream Model--An Overview.” To be published in: T. Bjørndal (ed.) Essays in fisheries economics and management, a Festschrift in honour of Professor Gordon Munro. In Review.
- Kathleen Miller and David Yates, 2005: Climate Change and Water Resources: A Primer for
- Municipal Water Providers. AWWA Research Foundation, Denver, CO. In Review.
- Miller, K.A., and G. R. Munro, 2004: Climate and Cooperation: A New Perspective on the
- Management of Shared Fish Stocks, Marine Resource Economics19(3): 367-393.
- Miller, K.A., G.R. Munro and T. Bjørndal, 2004: Climate, Competition and the Management
- of Shared Fish Stocks, in What are Responsible Fisheries? Proceedings of the Twelfth Biennial Conference of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade (IIFET).
- *McKelvey, R., K.A. Miller, and *P. Golubtsov, 2003: “Fish-Wars Revisited: A Stochastic
- Incomplete-Information Harvesting Game,” Chapter 6 - pp.93-112, in Justus Wesseler, Hans-Peter Weikard, and Robert D. Weaver, eds., Risk and Uncertainty in Environmental and Natural Resources Economics, Edward Elgar, 2003.
- Miller, K.A., 2003: North American Pacific salmon: A case of fragile cooperation. Report of
- Norway-FAO Expert Consultation on the Management of Shared Fish Stocks, 7-10 October 2002, Bergen, Norway. FAO Fisheries Report No. 695, Supplement. Rome, Italy: FAO, 105-122.
- Miller K.A., and M.W. Downton, 2003: Transboundary fisheries: Pacific salmon. In: T. Potter and
- B. Colman (eds.), Handbook of Weather, Climate and Water. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 851-864.
- Miller, K.A., and *S. Gloss, 2003: Climate variability: Social, policy and institutional issues. In:
- Water and Climate in the Western United States (W.L. Lewis, ed.). Boulder, CO: University of Colorado Press, 251-269.
- *McKelvey, R. and K.A. Miller, 2002: The Pacific salmon dispute: Rationalizing a dysfunctional
- joint venture. Chapter 16 in Sustaining North American Salmon: Perspectives Across Regions and Disciplines, American Fisheries Society, 341-368.
- *Ojima, D.S., *J.M. Lackett, and Central Great Plains Steering Committee and
- Assessment Team (K. Miller, member), 2002: Preparing for a Changing Climate: The Potential Consequences of Climate Variability and Change, Central Great Plains. Report for the U.S. Global Change Research Program. Fort Collins: Colorado State University.
- Miller, K.A., and *G.R. Munro, 2002: Cooperation and conflict in the management of
- transboundary fishery resources. Proceedings, Second World Congress of Environment and Resource Economics, Monterey, California, June 2002.
- Miller, K.A., 2002: Book review of The Tornado: Nature's Ultimate Windstorm by T. Grazulis.
- Journal of the West, 41(4), 88.
- *McKelvey, R., and K.A. Miller, 2002: A stochastic split-stream harvesting model: Insights on
- information and the Pacific Salmon War. Proceedings, International Conference on Risk and Uncertainty in Environmental and Resource Economics, held in Waginingen, The Netherlands, June 2002.
- *Cohen, S. and K.A. Miller, 2001: North America. Chapter 15 in Climate Change 2001: Impacts,
- Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 735-800.
- Miller, K.A., 2001: Climate and water resources in the west: Past and future. Journal of the West,
- 40(3), 39-47.
- Miller, K.A., *G. Munro, *R. McKelvey, and *P. Tyedmers, 2001: Climate, uncertainty
- and the Pacific Salmon Treaty: Insights on the harvest management game. In: Microbehavior and Macroresults: Proceedings of the Tenth Biennial Conference of the International Institute of Fishery Economics and Trade (IIFET), 10-15 July 2000, Corvallis, OR. Compiled by R.S. Johnston and A.L.Shriver, IIFET, Corvallis, OR.
- Miller K.A., *G.R. Munro, *T.L. McDorman, *R. McKelvey and *P. Tyedmers, 2001:
- The 1999 Pacific Salmon Agreement: A sustainable solution to the management game?. Orono, ME: University of Maine, Canadian-American Public Policy Occasional Paper No. 47. 67 pp.
- Miller, K.A., 2001: Book review of Due to the Weather: Ways the Elements Affect Our Lives by A.
- Resnick. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 82(8), 1759.
- Water Cycle Study Group (K.A. Miller, member), 2001: A Plan for a New Science Initiative on
- the Global Water Cycle. Washington, DC: US Global Change Research Program. 118 pp.
- White, K.S. et al. (K.A. Miller, Lead Author), 2001: Technical summary. In: Climate Change 2001:
- Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Working Group II Third Assessment Report for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 19-73.
- *Cohen, S.J, K.A. Miller, *A.F. Hamlet, and *W. Avis, 2000: Climate change and resource
- management in the Columbia River Basin, Water International, 25(2), 253-272.
- Miller K.A., 2000: Pacific salmon fisheries: Climate, information and adaptation in a conflict-
- ridden context. Climatic Change, 45, 37-61.
- Miller K.A., 2000: Managing supply variability: The use of water banks in the western United States.
- In: D.A. Wilhite (ed.), Drought: A Global Assessment. London: Routledge Press, 70-86.
- Trenberth, K.E., K.A. Miller, L.O. Mearns and *S.L. Rhodes, 2000: Effects of Changing Climate
- on Weather and Human Activities, Earth Science and Human Impacts Series, Global Change Instruction Program, UCAR. Sausalito, CA: University Science Books.
- Miller, K.A. (Panel Member), Panel on the Human Demensions of Seasonal-to-Interannual Climate
- Variability, 1999: Making Climate Forecasts Matter. P.C. Stern and W. Easterling (eds.). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- *Ojima D., *L. Garcia, *E. Elgaali, K.A. Miller, *T. Kittel and *J. Lackett, 1999: Potential climate
- change impact on water resources in the Great Plains, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 35(6), 1443-1454.
- Pielke, Jr., R.A., M. Betsill, M. Downton, J. Firor, *D. Jamieson, R. Katz, M. Lahsen, J.
- Magistro, L. Mearns and K. Miller, 1999: Book review of Human Choice and Climate Change, S. Rayner and E. Malone, eds. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 80(7), 1441-1443.
- Downton, M.W. and K.A. Miller, 1998: Relationships between Alaskan salmon catch and North
- Pacific climate on interannual and interdecadal time scales. Canadian J. Fisheries and Aquatic Sci., 55, 2255-2265.
- *McKelvey, R., and K.A. Miller, 1998: Cooperative Management of Transboundary Shared Stocks:
- Some Principles Drawn from the Theory of Games. Ecosystem Considerations in Fisheries Management, 16th Lowell Wakefield Fisheries Symposium, Abstracts, of Alaska Sea Grant, Fairbanks.
- Miller, K.A., 1997: Climate Variability, Climate Change and Western Water. Report to the
- Western Water Policy Review Commission. Springfield, VA: National Technical Information Service.
- Miller, K.A., 1997: Use of mathematical models in policy evaluation: Comments. In Modeling
- Environmental Policy, W.E. Martin and L.A. McDonald (eds.). Boston, MA: Kluwer, 185-197.
- Miller, K.A., S.L. Rhodes and *L.J. MacDonnell, 1997: Water allocation in a changing climate:
- Institutions and Adaptation. Climatic Change 35, 157-177.
- Miller, K.A., S.L. Rhodes and *L.J. MacDonnell, 1997: Global change in microcosm: The case of
- U.S. water institutions. Policy Sciences 29(4), 271-290.
- Schimel, D.S., *M. Grubb, *F. Joos, *R.K. Kaufmann, *R. Moss, *W. Ogana, *R. Richels, and
- T.M.L. Wigley (K. Miller, contributing author), 1997: Stabilization of Atmospheric Greenhouse Gases: Physical, Biological, and Socio-Economic Implications. IPCC Technical Paper No. 3. Geneva, Switzerland: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Miller, K.A., 1996: Salmon stock variability and the political economy of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.
- Contemporary Economic Policy, 14, 3 112-3 129.
- Miller, K.A. 1996: "Water banking: Management of supply variability." In: Advances in the
- Economics of Environmental Resources Vol. 1, Darwin C. Hall (Ed.). Greenwich, Connecticut: JAI Press Inc., 185-210.
- Miller, K.A., 1996: Economics of the climate resource. In Preprints, Symposium on Environmental
- Applications, 28 January -2 February 1996. Atlanta, Georgia: American Meteorological Society, 44-45.
- Miller, K.A., and R.K. Parkin, eds., 1996: An Institute on the Economics of the Climate Resource,
- Final Report. NOAA contract #NA94AANAG0380. Boulder, Colorado: National Center for Atmospheric Research.
- Miller, K.A., S.L. Rhodes and L.J. MacDonnell, 1996: "Global Change in Microcosm: The Case of
- U.S. Water Institutions," Policy Sciences, 29(4): 271-290.
- *K. Trenberth, S.L. Rhodes, K.A. Miller, and L.O. Mearns, 1996: Weather associated with
- climate change. Boulder, Colorado: UCAR Global Change Instruction Program.
Selected Earlier Publications
- *MacDonnell, L.J., *S. Bates, *C. Howe, K.A. Miller and *T. Rice. 1994: "Water banking in the
- west." Report, Boulder, Colorado: Boulder Natural Resources Law Center, 200 pp.
- Miller, K.A. 1994: "Economics, lake levels and conflict: A historical perspective on Chicago's
- diversions." In: The Lake Michigan Diversion at Chicago and Urban Drought: Past, Present and Future Regional Impacts and Responses to Global Climate Change, S.A. Changnon (Ed.). Boulder, Colorado: UCAR, 114-136.
- Miller, K.A., *L.J. MacDonnell, and S.L. Rhodes, 1993: "Groundwater rights in an uncertain
- environment: Theoretical perspectives on the San Luis Valley." Natural Resources Journal 33 (3), 727-758.
- Miller, K.A., and M.W. Downton, 1993: "The freeze risk to Florida citrus. Part I: Investment
- decisions." Journal of Climate 6 (2), 354-363.
- Downton, M.W., and K.A. Miller. 1993: "The freeze risk to Florida citrus. Part II: Temperature
- variability and circulation patterns." Journal of Climate 6 (2), 364-372.
- Rhodes, S.L., K.A. Miller, and *L.J. MacDonnell. 1992: "Institutional response to climate change:
- Water provider organizations in the Denver metropolitan region." Water Resources Research 28 (1), 11-18.
- Miller, K.A., and *D.L. Fluharty. 1992: "El Nino and variability in the Northeast Pacific salmon
- fishery." In: Climate Variability, Climate Change and Fisheries, M.H. Glantz (Ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 49-88.
- Miller, K.A., 1991: "Response of Florida Citrus Growers to the Freezes of the 1980s," Climate
- Research, Vol. 1, #2, 133-144.
- Miller, K.A., 1990: "Water, Electricity, and Institutional Innovation," in Climate Change and U.S.
- Water Resources, Paul E. Waggoner, (ed.), Wiley.
- Miller, K.A., 1989: "Climate Change: Water Rights and Electric Utilities," Energy Policy, 8, 420-424.
- Miller, K.A., 1989: "Hydropower, Water Institutions and CO2-Induced Climate Change: A Snake
- River Case Study," Int. J. of Water Resources Development, 5(2), 71-83.
- Miller, K.A., 1988: "Private and Public Sector Responses to Florida Citrus Freezes," in Societal
- Responses to Regional Climate Change: Forecasting by Analogy, Michael H. Glantz, (ed.), Westview Press, 375-406.
- Miller, K.A, and M.H. Glantz, 1988: "Climate and Economic Competitiveness: Florida Freezes and
- the Global Citrus Processing Industry," Climatic Change, 12, 135-164.
- Downton, M.W., *T.R. Stewart, and K.A. Miller, 1988: "Estimating Historical Heating and Cooling
- Needs: Per Capita Degree Days," Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology, 27(1), 84-90.
- Miller, K.A., 1987: "The Right to Use Versus the Right to Sell: Spillover Effects and Constraints on
- the Water Rights of Irrigation Organization Members," Water Resources Research, 23 (12), 2166-2174.